Revitalisation of the River Dreisam along the Section Kartauswiesen / Freiburg im Breisgau
The River Dreisam was revitaalised along a length of 960 m in the area of Kartauswiesen. The redesign of this section is a compensatory and substitution measure of the German Federal Railways (DB) for the expansion works and new lines Karlsruhe-Basel and Bad Krozingen-Heitersheim.
The revitalisation includes
- Local left side narrowing of the existing river bed to concentrate low-flow discharges.
- Wideneing of the river bed on the right side for flood water discharge and flood retention "in flow" by means of tributaries.
- Renaturation of the bank reinforcement on the right to upgrade the zone between the low and high water level.
- Dismantling of existing barriers to improve fish accessibility and increasing flow diversity.
In addition to an ecological upgrade recreational use of the site should also be possible. The structuring of the lower and central channel was achieved primarily by installing permanently overflowed micro-groynes and large deadwood structures.
- Length of section: 960 m
- Fish region: Äschenregion
- MNQ / MQ: 0.5 / 5.8 m3/s
- HQ100: 164 m3/s
- Slope: 3-4 ‰
Scope of services
Design planning and structural planning, construction management: IUB Engineering AG, Regional Administrative Council Freiburg im Breisgau, Bad Säckingen office, Dept. 53.1 Landscape design: kamm + pohla, freie Landschaftsarchitekten